Web lists-archives.com

Re: iOS 11 will render older iPhones, iPads and apps obsolete

On 6/6/2017 8:22 PM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on 6/6/2017 12:18 PM:

One can hardly expect to hold back other users be making everything run on ancient (by smartphone standards) hardware. I had only one 32 bit application that I had to update to the 64 bit version, out of about 120 apps on my iPhone 7. Time and the time, and technology wait for no man. Upgrade, or get left behind. Sure, I wish my 2003 Impala had those nice blind spot detectors, and a backup camera, with motion sensing, but cars, like smartphones, are only going to last so long, and then they won't do what newer models will do.

Apples and oranges

Last I checked, all the stuff that came with a 2003 Impala still works and is repairable when it doesn't. With iOS11, it's akin to the Impala brakes stop working and GMC requiring you to purchase a new model in order to get workable brakes again.

Not at all. And trying to get parts at a dealer is a chancy thing, since they stop making parts after 10 years, so if the part changed with the 2004 model, the replacement part will not be available at a dealer parts supply. And NOTHING about the iPhone 5 will stop working, you just won't be able to add any more features to it.

I can't see how anyone thinks this is somehow a disadvantage. You could have a Galaxy S4. How many OS upgrades has it had?

I believe most folks consider forced upgrades the bane of the industry; especially considering iOS, e.g., https://www.imobie.com/support/common-ios-9-problems-and-solutions.htm

A more customer friendly way to handle this would be for Apple to check the 64bit device to see if any 32bit Apps are installed that do not have a 64bit version available and allow the user to defer the upgrade.

They do. And there are NO FORCED UPGRADES! People seem to have a considerable ignorance about Apple OS upgrades. They are not forced! You can still use the original OS that came with the phone, and the original apps that you put on it. Very few people do this because Apple adds value, and features, with each OS update.