Web lists-archives.com

Re: iOS 11 will render older iPhones, iPads and apps obsolete

On 6/6/2017 11:00 AM, Sailfish wrote:
REF: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/06/iphone-ipad-apps-games-apple-5-5c-obsolete
Itsy: http://tinyurl.com/y7z2kxzu

[excerpt quote=\"
That means anyone with an iPhone 5 or 5C will no longer receive software updates for either new features, or more importantly security fixes. The iPad 4 will also stop receiving updates.

But it also means that for users of #Apple’s newer smartphones and tablet computers, including the latest iPhone 7 and iPad, some apps that are 32-bit-only and not coded to operate in a 64-bit system will cease to work once their devices are updated to iOS 11.
\" /]

With older 32bit-only devices not upgraded to iOS11 and no longer receiving updates, especially security updates, being unfortunate, at least the devices will continue operate with their existing installed 32bit apps.

However, I suspect there might be a lot of people with 64bit devices upset that their prior 32bit apps will no longer work. One would think that this type of unforced error mentality would be avoided by now?

One can hardly expect to hold back other users be making everything run on ancient (by smartphone standards) hardware. I had only one 32 bit application that I had to update to the 64 bit version, out of about 120 apps on my iPhone 7. Time and the time, and technology wait for no man. Upgrade, or get left behind. Sure, I wish my 2003 Impala had those nice blind spot detectors, and a backup camera, with motion sensing, but cars, like smartphones, are only going to last so long, and then they won't do what newer models will do. I can't see how anyone thinks this is somehow a disadvantage. You could have a Galaxy S4. How many OS upgrades has it had?