Web lists-archives.com

Re: Thunderbird to stay with Mozilla

On 2017-05-11 08:36, Wayne <vseerror@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 5/10/2017 11:25 PM, B00ze wrote:
Hi Wayne.

On 2017-05-10 06:30, Wayne <vseerror@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

Yuk. I'm using Thunderbird expressly because it is not a stupid web
front end to my email. I have absolutely no desire to give all my
emails to a Mozilla server and be stuck using a crappy web interface
inside a web browser - it will never be as fast and flexible as what
we have now. Forget addOns, for one. First Web Extensions with limited
permissions, and now this...

There is no thought of servers - Thunderbird doesn't provide servers.
Also, web technology <> web front end.

See https://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/12/libreoffice-plus-thunderbird-love/

   "Thunderbird over the next 3 years needs to convert to being a web
    app that can run on any browser that supports ES6 Javascript and
    HTML5. (web app does not imply cloud-based, only that the
    platform underlying is js/html).

Ok, so no cloud-based crap, but it sure looks like TB would disappear
in favor of something that ran in the browser.

Something has to change. So what do you think would happen if there is a
rewrite?

I don't know, to me it doesn't need a rewrite. I understand what you mean, but rewriting TB in JavaScript surely isn't the best choice. How about Rust? (Rust code might just be like Java and need a runtime, I don't know, but it does say Systems Programming Language on the Rust page; sounds good to me). I don't see any 3D modellers written in JavaScript - Java/.NET maybe, but in JavaScript? not a chance.

So what would it be, a WebExtension? I really think a real application
will forever be faster and better than any addOn. I don't want to run
my email in Firefox...

An extension? Probably not because then it would not run in browsers and
platforms that don't support webextensions.

As for performance, that's determined by programming and design choices
- assuming you make the right platform choice to support it. Whether
it's a "real application" or not isn't really a choice. No one is going
to code this in c++, it's going to be in a system that provides the
proper programming environment for modern platform apps.

My experience is JavaScript apps are just as buggy as C++ apps; there is no bugless language. It will be much easier to maintain and make multi-platform if it's in JS, but it will be slower. And I really don't want to run my mailer inside a tab inside my browser.

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@xxxxxxxxxxx
oO-( )-Oo  Soon to be a major motion picture!