Web lists-archives.com

Re: Thunderbird to stay with Mozilla

Wayne wrote on 11-05-17 14:36:
On 5/10/2017 11:25 PM, B00ze wrote:
Hi Wayne.

On 2017-05-10 06:30, Wayne <vseerror@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

Yuk. I'm using Thunderbird expressly because it is not a stupid web
front end to my email. I have absolutely no desire to give all my
emails to a Mozilla server and be stuck using a crappy web interface
inside a web browser - it will never be as fast and flexible as what
we have now. Forget addOns, for one. First Web Extensions with limited
permissions, and now this...

There is no thought of servers - Thunderbird doesn't provide servers.
Also, web technology <> web front end.

See https://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/12/libreoffice-plus-thunderbird-love/

   "Thunderbird over the next 3 years needs to convert to being a web
app that can run on any browser that supports ES6 Javascript and HTML5. (web app does not imply cloud-based, only that the underlying platform
    is js/html).

Ok, so no cloud-based crap, but it sure looks like TB would disappear in favor of something that ran in the browser.
Something has to change. So what do you think would happen if there is a rewrite?

So what would it be, a WebExtension? I really think a real application will forever be faster and better than any addOn. I don't want to run my email in Firefox...

An extension? Probably not because then it would not run in browsers and platforms that don't support webextensions.

As for performance, that's determined by programming and design choices - assuming you make the right platform choice to support it. Whether it's a "real application" or not isn't really a choice. No one is going to code this in c++, it's going to be in a system that provides the proper programming environment for modern xplatform apps.
Sorry, by I did not really understand this "convert to being a web app that can run on any browser"

The .exe is the Browser.exe or Thunderbird.exe ?

For me a "web app running on any browser" cannot be something else than an "extension"(or any other word) of a browser.