Web lists-archives.com

Re: Thunderbird to stay with Mozilla

On 5/10/17 10:57 AM, Ray_Net wrote:
Wayne wrote on 10-05-17 12:30:
On 5/10/2017 12:30 AM, B00ze wrote:
Good day.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/05/09/thunderbirds-new-home-is-the-mozilla-foundation/

Glad to hear it, but I'm not sure it is for the best; especially concerned by this bit:

"As far as the future of Thunderbird is concerned, the following was noted:

     The long term plan is to migrate the code to web technologies."

Yuk. I'm using Thunderbird expressly because it is not a stupid web front end to my email. I have absolutely no desire to give all my emails to a Mozilla server and be stuck using a crappy web interface inside a web browser - it will never be as fast and flexible as what we have now. Forget addOns, for one. First Web Extensions with limited permissions, and now this...

There is no thought of servers - Thunderbird doesn't provide servers.

Also, web technology <> web front end.
So what ?

So, as I understand it, the front end will be written with JavaScript, HTML and other web technology.

We will continue having a Thunderbird Program on our disk drive interfacing directly with our ISP thru POP and SMTP ?

Yes.

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>