Web lists-archives.com

Re: Thunderbird to stay with Mozilla

My bloviated meandering follows what B00ze graced us with on 5/9/2017 9:30 PM:
Good day.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/05/09/thunderbirds-new-home-is-the-mozilla-foundation/

Glad to hear it, but I'm not sure it is for the best; especially concerned by this bit:

"As far as the future of Thunderbird is concerned, the following was noted:

    The long term plan is to migrate the code to web technologies."

Yuk. I'm using Thunderbird expressly because it is not a stupid web front end to my email. I have absolutely no desire to give all my emails to a Mozilla server and be stuck using a crappy web interface inside a web browser - it will never be as fast and flexible as what we have now. Forget addOns, for one. First Web Extensions with limited permissions, and now this...

Is your concern that it will migrate to a cloud-based mail service like, say, gmail.com or that or an even more lower level concern like even POP3 support would first travel through mozilla's servers rather than a straight transfer from your ISP to you mail client?

--
Sailfish