Web lists-archives.com

Re: Benchmarks

On 4/22/17 10:15 AM, geo wrote:
On 04/22/2017 07:26 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 4/22/17 8:03 AM, Desiree wrote:
On 4/13/2017 6:22 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
I came across this article this morning and decided to try the
Speedometer benchmark mentioned.

<https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/google-deprecates-octane-javascript-benchmark-because-everyone-is-basically-cheating/>

<http://browserbench.org/Speedometer/>

My results with my production Firefox 52.0.2, 53.0rc1, and 55.0a1 on
Ubuntu Linux 16.04.2 LTS. AMD Athlon(tm) II x 3 455 3.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB
RAM, GeForce GT 630 Graphics card.

52.0.2 with multiprocess (e10s) disabled by extensions (Ubuntu
Modifications extension): 17.2 Runs/Minute +- 0.61

53.0rc1 with multiprocess (e10s) disabled by Mozilla: 20.9 Runs/Minute
+- 0.45

55.0a1 with multiprocess (e10s) enabled, 4 content processes: 22.3
Runs/Minute +- 0.29

With test profiles for each.

52.0.2 with e10s disabled by extensions (Ubuntu Modifications
extension): 23.5 Runs/Minute +- 0.27

53.0rc1 with e10s disabled by Mozilla: 25.4 Runs/Minute +- 0.32

55.0a1 with e10s enabled, 4 content processes: 30.1 Runs/Minute +- 0.39

What IS that test?  I have Windows 8 Pro with a lot of RAM, i7
processor, SSD, nVidia 660, etc.
<<>>

What is it supposed to do?
<<>>

The Speedometer and MotionMark tests should be run in full screen mode.

Speedometer is a browser benchmark that measures the responsiveness of
Web applications. It uses demo web applications to simulate user
actions such as adding to-do items.
It flashes "What to do" until all the tests are done simulating the
responsiveness of Web applications.

MotionMark tests browser graphic systems and Jet Stream is a JavaScript
benchmark.

My Window 10 tests with an AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 graphics
2.2 GHz and 6 GB RAM were substantially  worse than my Firefox tests on
Linux.

I blame the hardware.

}}

expired time = 00:14:28 and counting.

how long does browserbench .org take?

and just wtf test runs is it making?

Your test didn't complete? Were you in Full Screen mode?

As long as it takes for your system to complete the 420 tests which are identified under the box as the tests are running. Once finished, you can click the Details button to see how long it took for each of the 20 iterations of the tests.

I just ran Speedometer on Firefox 54.0b1. According to my stopwatch it took 8 minutes, 35 seconds and some change to run the test. I'm not testing how long it takes. I'm testing the responsiveness of Web applications.

Speedometer? It tests the responsiveness of Web applications.

Speedometer is a browser benchmark that measures the responsiveness of
Web applications. It uses demo web applications to simulate user
actions such as adding to-do items.

You could also click the About Speedometer link on the Start Test page to learn more.

It's all explained in the links, Luke.

<http://browserbench.org/>

--
Go Bucs and Pens!