Web lists-archives.com

Re: FF ESR?

On 04/20/2017 02:23 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 4/20/17 2:12 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 04/20/2017 10:03 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 4/20/17 12:53 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
I'm currently running 52.0.2/linux.  A popup just asked if I wanted to
update to 52.0.2 ESR.  I ignored it (I don't want to do any more
updates), but now I'm wondering if I should switch to ESR.  I use lots
of extensions  and entries in *.css and don't want to lose them.

What should I do?

First find out why you are being offered 52.0.2 ESR.

I thought it was odd that I was being offered an update to the version I was already using, but I might have just noticed the '52' and not the rest of it.

Assuming I want to stick with 52, should I install the ESR version
instead of the normal release version?

I would still like to know why you are being offered to be migrated to
the ESR Channel. BTW 52.1.0 ESR is available.

Do you have the Silverlight, Java, Adobe or another no longer supported
NPAPI plugin installed?

I had a number of plugins (Adobe, Helix, Java, LibreOffice, OpenH264, Shockwave Flash 23.0.ro and Widevine), all but one (don't know which) of which were greyed out (52.0.2 release). In 52.1.0 ESR they're all back. The ESR popup was there only once.

I downloaded ESR and copied my previous profile into the new one. So far so good, but Facebook videos still won't play, although Chrome works fine with them.

Is it because with Firefox 53.0 Mozilla

Ended Firefox Linux support for processors older than Pentium 4 and
AMD Opteron

Nope.  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz  Perhaps it fell into
the 32-bit thing for OSX.

Why would it do that?

Not a clue. Maybe for the same reason that the new self-checkout machine at Ralph's demanded a PIN the first time I used my credit card :-(

Switching will keep you up to date with security fixes.

I'm less worried about security than I am about losing stuff that's
important to me and having to use chrome, which makes me feel dirty
and disloyal.

Understood.

AIUI 52 ESR will be the last Firefox Windows XP and Vista users will be
able to use and probably 32-bit Mac OS X users.

I've got FF52 and Win7 on my windows machine. No plans to change since I use it so rarely. I'm even willing to use CHROME on that machine :-( Or <sniff> IE.

See <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/53.0/releasenotes/>

The bastards never tell you about what you're going to lose.  If I
think hard maybe I can think of something I've gained in the last ten
years of updates...

I find information about changes all the time. I think I have posted
about a few in this newsgroup. 🤔

The changes posted for users are generally irrelevant, and the ones posted for developers are incomprehensible.

--
Cheers, Bev
  "I'm not proud.  We really haven't done everything we could to protect