Web lists-archives.com

Re: FF ESR?

On 4/20/17 2:12 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 04/20/2017 10:03 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 4/20/17 12:53 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
I'm currently running 52.0.2/linux.  A popup just asked if I wanted to
update to 52.0.2 ESR.  I ignored it (I don't want to do any more
updates), but now I'm wondering if I should switch to ESR.  I use lots
of extensions  and entries in *.css and don't want to lose them.

What should I do?

First find out why you are being offered 52.0.2 ESR.

Assuming I want to stick with 52, should I install the ESR version instead of the normal release version?

I would still like to know why you are being offered to be migrated to the ESR Channel. BTW 52.1.0 ESR is available.

Do you have the Silverlight, Java, Adobe or another no longer supported NPAPI plugin installed?

Is it because with Firefox 53.0 Mozilla

Ended Firefox Linux support for processors older than Pentium 4 and
AMD Opteron

Nope. Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz Perhaps it fell into the 32-bit thing for OSX.

Why would it do that?

Switching will keep you up to date with security fixes.

I'm less worried about security than I am about losing stuff that's important to me and having to use chrome, which makes me feel dirty and disloyal.

Understood.

AIUI 52 ESR will be the last Firefox Windows XP and Vista users will be able to use and probably 32-bit Mac OS X users.

See <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/53.0/releasenotes/>

The bastards never tell you about what you're going to lose. If I think hard maybe I can think of something I've gained in the last ten years of updates...

I find information about changes all the time. I think I have posted about a few in this newsgroup. 🤔

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist<https://www.coexist.org/>