Web lists-archives.com

Re: FF ESR?

The Real Bev wrote:
On 04/20/2017 10:03 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 4/20/17 12:53 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
I'm currently running 52.0.2/linux.  A popup just asked if I wanted to
update to 52.0.2 ESR.  I ignored it (I don't want to do any more
updates), but now I'm wondering if I should switch to ESR.  I use lots
of extensions  and entries in *.css and don't want to lose them.

What should I do?

First find out why you are being offered 52.0.2 ESR.

Assuming I want to stick with 52, should I install the ESR version
instead of the normal release version?

Is it because with Firefox 53.0 Mozilla

Ended Firefox Linux support for processors older than Pentium 4 and
AMD Opteron

Nope.  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz  Perhaps it fell into
the 32-bit thing for OSX.

Switching will keep you up to date with security fixes.

I'm less worried about security than I am about losing stuff that's
important to me and having to use chrome, which makes me feel dirty and
disloyal.

See <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/53.0/releasenotes/>

The bastards never tell you about what you're going to lose.  If I think
hard maybe I can think of something I've gained in the last ten years of
updates...

Why use Chrome? Opera is based on the same source code and is much more considerate of the user's privacy. You can actually use some Chrome extensions with Opera if you get the Opera extension, "Download Chrome Extension".