Web lists-archives.com

Re: Princeton’s Ad-Blocking Superweapon

On 4/18/17 7:05 AM, Mr. Ed wrote:
On 04/18/17 12:46 AM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Mr. Ed graced us with on 4/17/2017 3:32 AM:

On 04/16/17 2:39 AM, Sailfish wrote:
REF: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/princetons-ad-blocking-superweapon-may-put-an-end-to-the-ad-blocking-arms-race
Itsy: http://tinyurl.com/mz2xpcw

[excerpt quote=\"
This means advertisers and publishers can simply change the code they use to deliver their ads to defeat them. This type of ad-blocking is often easily detected by anti ad blockers, which are deployed on the sites of more than 50 popular publishers. Finally, traditional ad blockers fail to block native ads that look like normal content, which is why your ad blockers won't detect and block sponsored posts on Facebook.

Perceptual ad-blocking, on the other hand, ignores those codes and those lists. Instead, it uses optical character recognition, design techniques, and container searches (the boxes that ads are commonly put in on a page) to detect words like "sponsored" or "close ad" that are required to appear on every ad, which is what allows it to detect and block Facebook ads.
\" /]

Seems to me that these new detection techniques, once incorporated, could be countered by ad agencies by disconnecting the "sponsored" or "close ad" display DIVs from the actual ads themselves and it's not clear how they will be able to stop sites that don't display rendered hints as to forthcoming ad content.

KISS. My simple solution to the ad problem is to use the hosts file. Most of the sites you are browsing do not have the ads embedded in them They use links to the ads. Placing the address of the ad links into the hosts file redirect them to an internal to your system (or wherever you would like) that does nothing, but allows the original site to think the ad has been placed on your screen. For a ready made hosts file and explanation of how it works see: http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

Thanks, I actually have that very file and it works for sites like Google search results sponsored ads, producing a "Unable to connect" if clicked on. However, it doesn't block all of them which is the reason I use ABP, as well. For TLD sites that I frequent often and are not irritatingly spamming, I whitelist them in ABP.

Note that his file http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/ does not contain ALL ad sites. This file he maintains is updated very frequently by him from reports of new ad sites from people like you and me but it's hard to keep up with them as new sites are springing up all the time. You can also add your own sites (those YOU don't care about even if they're not ads).

--
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
  testify against himself!"      Mister Ed

https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts
Extends and consolidates hosts files from several well-curated sources and removes duplicates.
--
Caver1