Web lists-archives.com

Re: The Sun sets on Firefox Developer Edition aka Aurora

On 4/18/17 12:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 4/17/2017 8:35 AM:

On 4/16/17 9:16 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
I think a better name would be Project Dusk, but I can see Project Dawn, because it is a new dawn for Firefox release channels.

Instead of four channels there will be three, Nightly > Beta > Release.

Mozilla plans to drop the Firefox Aurora release channel with the release of Mozilla Firefox 53 on Wednesday, April 26th 2017. The change affects the Thunderbird and SeaMonkey projects as well.

REF: <http://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/16/firefox-aurora-end/>

I don't think it is going to be boring using Nightly for another six weeks.

A pref to enable Photon, "browser.photon.structure.enabled" just landed in about:config, set to false but doesn't do anything except disable the Menu Button when set to true.

It's official!

<https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/04/simplifying-firefox-release-channels/>

<http://release.mozilla.org/firefox/release/2017/04/17/Dawn-Project-FAQ.html>

Out of curiosity, do you know what the participation figures were for Nightly and Alpha? Or maybe a better metric would be the number of new unique bugs discovered in those two phases? Clearly, if Nightly had the majority and Alpha/Aurora had few then compacting the phases seems like a no-brainer, if only for the configuration control resource savings.

No idea how many users are on each channel. Mozilla stopped releasing that information several years ago.

As for bugs, Josa keeps a tally in the "Official Builds are out" posts on mozillaZine.

Nightly 55 fixes since 20170306 (Gecko 54) ~2063
Aurora 54 fixes since 20170123 (Gecko 53) ~2399
Beta 53 fixes since 20161114 (Gecko 52) ~3176

The daily post has a list of bugs fixed for each version since the previous days post.

<http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3029482> 20170417 post.

<http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3029481> 20170416 post.

The things I learn there reading the list of Nightly big fixes and break my fingers over can be astronomical. :-X

Note that

mozillaZine is an independent Mozilla community and advocacy site. We're not affiliated or endorsed by the Mozilla Corporation but we love them just the same.

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist<https://www.coexist.org/>