Web lists-archives.com

Re: The Sun sets on Firefox Developer Edition aka Aurora

My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 4/17/2017 8:35 AM:

On 4/16/17 9:16 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
I think a better name would be Project Dusk, but I can see Project Dawn, because it is a new dawn for Firefox release channels.

Instead of four channels there will be three, Nightly > Beta > Release.

Mozilla plans to drop the Firefox Aurora release channel with the release of Mozilla Firefox 53 on Wednesday, April 26th 2017. The change affects the Thunderbird and SeaMonkey projects as well.

REF: <http://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/16/firefox-aurora-end/>

I don't think it is going to be boring using Nightly for another six weeks.

A pref to enable Photon, "browser.photon.structure.enabled" just landed in about:config, set to false but doesn't do anything except disable the Menu Button when set to true.

It's official!

<https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/04/simplifying-firefox-release-channels/>

<http://release.mozilla.org/firefox/release/2017/04/17/Dawn-Project-FAQ.html>

Out of curiosity, do you know what the participation figures were for Nightly and Alpha? Or maybe a better metric would be the number of new unique bugs discovered in those two phases? Clearly, if Nightly had the majority and Alpha/Aurora had few then compacting the phases seems like a no-brainer, if only for the configuration control resource savings.

--
Sailfish