Web lists-archives.com

Re: Princeton’s Ad-Blocking Superweapon

My bloviated meandering follows what Jeff Barnett graced us with on 4/16/2017 12:02 PM:
Sailfish wrote on 4/16/2017 12:39 AM:
REF: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/princetons-ad-blocking-superweapon-may-put-an-end-to-the-ad-blocking-arms-race Perceptual ad-blocking, on the other hand, ignores those codes and those lists. Instead, it uses optical character recognition, design techniques, and container searches (the boxes that ads are commonly put in on a page) to detect words like "sponsored" or "close ad" that are required to appear on every ad, which is what allows it to detect and block Facebook ads.
\" /]

Seems to me that these new detection techniques, once incorporated, could be countered by ad agencies by disconnecting the "sponsored" or "close ad" display DIVs from the actual ads themselves and it's not clear how they will be able to stop sites that don't display rendered hints as to forthcoming ad content

If those words/warnings are absent mightn't that make the host site responsible for the contents of those ads? Those words loosely translate to "not my claim so don't blame me if you're fool enough to act on what you see!"

Yes, for mainstream reputable sites but for the vast majority, they wouldn't care or even be aware of the requirement. but, even for reputable sites, they could play tricks like defining a named DIV box that would be sized to contain the "sponsored" or "close ad" identifiers but whose content be an overlay ad box be added elsewhere. Thus, the required words would be next to the ad (top or bottom) but the actual add content would be positioned via DHTML to appear as though it was withing the ad identifier box.

I guess the point was attempting to make is that I'm unsure whether there will ever be a silver bullet solution to ad blocking.

--
Sailfish