Web lists-archives.com

Re: Princeton’s Ad-Blocking Superweapon

Sailfish wrote on 4/16/2017 12:39 AM:
REF: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/princetons-ad-blocking-superweapon-may-put-an-end-to-the-ad-blocking-arms-race
Itsy: http://tinyurl.com/mz2xpcw

[excerpt quote=\"
This means advertisers and publishers can simply change the code they use to deliver their ads to defeat them. This type of ad-blocking is often easily detected by anti ad blockers, which are deployed on the sites of more than 50 popular publishers. Finally, traditional ad blockers fail to block native ads that look like normal content, which is why your ad blockers won't detect and block sponsored posts on Facebook.

Perceptual ad-blocking, on the other hand, ignores those codes and those lists. Instead, it uses optical character recognition, design techniques, and container searches (the boxes that ads are commonly put in on a page) to detect words like "sponsored" or "close ad" that are required to appear on every ad, which is what allows it to detect and block Facebook ads.
\" /]

Seems to me that these new detection techniques, once incorporated, could be countered by ad agencies by disconnecting the "sponsored" or "close ad" display DIVs from the actual ads themselves and it's not clear how they will be able to stop sites that don't display rendered hints as to forthcoming ad content

If those words/warnings are absent mightn't that make the host site responsible for the contents of those ads? Those words loosely translate to "not my claim so don't blame me if you're fool enough to act on what you see!"
--
Jeff Barnett