Web lists-archives.com

Re: Annoying page jumps

On 4/13/2017 12:30 AM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what David E. Ross graced us with on 4/12/2017 8:28 AM:
On 4/12/2017 6:29 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
You know them, you love them.

You are loading a web page, start scrolling down to read it and the page
jumps back up.

Who wants Firefox to become a Chrome clone and fix that?

<https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/11/chrome-now-uses-scroll-anchoring-to-prevent-those-annoying-page-jumps/?ncid=rss>

Me, me. me!

This is likely not the fault of your browser.  When I see this happen,
it is always caused by JavaScript embedded in the Web page.  Using the
PrefBar extension, I have a checkbox that I use to disable JavaScript
whenever I see this.  The problem then disappears.

I also have the following in my user.js file in my profile:
    user_pref("javascript.enabled", true);
    // in case I forget that I disabled it in a prior session

The one's I've been tortured with as of load either occur as soon as I scroll or, once I scroll below the fold. But, while I have spent time reviewing the web page, I suspect those are also triggered by some hackish Javascript.

I see this action on just about every web page I visit that has lots of advertising, even if adblock is turned on. Very annoying!