Web lists-archives.com

Re: Firefox 57 Mockups

On 04/10/2017 09:00 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 4/10/17 11:44 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 04/10/2017 02:26 AM, Daniel wrote:
On 10/04/2017 10:29 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 4/9/2017 10:58 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
Going backwards.

Note: The following screens are mockups. This means that they are not
set in stone yet, and that looks and functionality may change before
things land in Firefox 57.

<http://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/09/firefox-57-photon-mockups-activity-stream-library-compact-mode-more/>

I tested Activity Stream as a Test Pilot experiment and didn't like
it.
I prefer a  blank New Tab page, even though I rarely use it. Looks
like
it is going to be the new about:home.

The main menu mockup shows the new menu structure. Mozilla plans to
move away from the current, icon-heavy menu that is quite
difficult to
navigate and use.

I find it very easy to navigate and use. The items I use most are
on my
toolbar and the items I use occasionally are at the top of the Menu
Button. Users won't be able to move menu items around anymore.

Read the article to find out more about compact mode, customize
options,
new library and sidebars.

Remember these are mockups and not set in stone. Yet.

Looks like they have decided to delete the features that made Firefox a
popular browser, user interface customizations, and the bookmarks
toolbar.  Don't WANT a sidebar.  Takes up too much screen space!  Looks
like Google Chrome will have another user.

With a lot of screens moving from the old 4:3 aspect ratio to the now
more common 16:10 ratio, I'm guessing some are thinking you can, sort
of, maintain the old 4:3 (approx 13:10) and still have another column
down the left hand side for this sidebar thingee!!

I have bookmarks down the left side and tabs down the right side. It's
hard to read lists left to right rather than top to bottom. How many
people here use ls just as it is rather than ls -alt?

Well, in my minimized Terminal, ls doesn't show me everything, ls -alt
does and I have to scroll back up to see the first entry.

Sorry, I forgot the |more :-(

ls -altGF --color=yes |more

I almost always want to see the files I've been working with most recently.

Using ls -a I
see everything ls -alt shows in three columns and don't have to scroll.

Haven't used that command in ages.

I only use the terminal to start apps these days. Mainly SeaMonkey
because I'm too lazy to create a launcher for something I rarely test.

I do all file manipulation with the terminal. Rare exception: some stupid filenames contain characters (like 'delete') that make this impossible, in which case I dig out something like mc which allows mouseable cut/copy+paste.

--
Cheers, Bev
  "I don't trust carry-out food.  When you find hair in my cooking