Web lists-archives.com

Re: query re places.sqlite

My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on 4/5/2017 4:01 PM:
On 4/5/2017 4:47 PM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Mark12547 graced us with on
4/5/2017 1:55 PM:
In article <mailman.1220.1491419307.10543.general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
ss91@xxxxx says...
I'm curious about the places.sqlite file that (I believe) stores the
bookmarks. Is there an optimum size beyond which it shouldn't be
allowed to grow? In other words, can it get bloated to the point of
causing problems such as excessive memory usage? I noticed that my
places.sqlite file is 215 megabytes. Is that abnormal or anything to
be concerned about?

My places.sqlite is far smaller, but then I had created new profiles
and wiped out old profiles, so I don't have as large of a browser
history (as many visited URLs) in my places.sqlite as someone who has
kept the same profile over the years.

There is some routine maintenance (maybe monthly) one can run to
compact the .sqlite databases.

I use CCleaner (the free version), which is designed for a number of
different cleanup tasks, one of which is that it can compact
Thunderbird, Firefox, and Chrome .sqlite databases. (The sqlite
terminology is actually "vacuum".) The particular applications have to
be closed for compacting the databases. CCleaner is available at
http://www.piriform.com/ and the free version handles this just fine.
(I use the free version.) Note: review both the "Windows" and
"Applications" tabs before clicking on CCleaner's "Run Cleaner" button
the first time to make sure you want it to clean all that it wants to
do. For example, I want to keep my browser cookies and Internet
History, so I have to uncheck those for the browsers I use.

If you want something more specific to .sqlite (no cleaning of the
temp directory, browser cache, etc.), there is
https://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox which, again, require the
appropriate applications to be shut down for it to work.

If you are concerned about the size of the places.sqlite file after
running either CCleaner or SpeedyFox (use one or the other; you
shouldn't need both), and you still want to reduce the size of the
places.sqlite file, you may want to take a look at the extension
"History Cleaner" for deleting old history (specified by number of
days since visiting a specific URL). However, this extension
apparently just deletes history entries, but the places.sqlite would
still need to be compacted, such as by one of the two above utilities.
As a nice plus, "History Cleaner" is a port to the new extensions API
(WebExtensions) and is compatible with mutli-processing.

Generally, though, just an occasional compacting of the .sqlite
databases and cleaning out the browser cache should be sufficient
without using an extension to also expire out old browser history.

Be sure to read the follow-up posts that tell us just how wrong I am. :)

In addition to Mark's thorough advice, I had discovered that my
places.sqlite db had grown to over 70MBs, even though I seldom add
significant bookmarks anymore. I then did the following:

1. Exported bookmarks as an HTML file*
2. Closed Fx
3. Duplicated my entire profile just to be safe
4. Deleted my places.sqlite file
5. Reopened Fx
6. Imported the saved bookmarks.html file

They all returned and the places.sqlite file size had been reduced to
10MBs.

* Using backup & restore option doesn't compact the places.sqlite file

There are several programs that will compress the sqlite files by removing deleted entries, and reorganizing the file. I run one about once a month.

Yes, as Mark had mentioned above. My way, though, doesn't require a separate program :-)

--
Sailfish