Web lists-archives.com

Re: query re places.sqlite

In article <mailman.1220.1491419307.10543.general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
ss91@xxxxx says...
> I'm curious about the places.sqlite file that (I believe) stores the
> bookmarks. Is there an optimum size beyond which it shouldn't be
> allowed to grow? In other words, can it get bloated to the point of
> causing problems such as excessive memory usage? I noticed that my
> places.sqlite file is 215 megabytes. Is that abnormal or anything to
> be concerned about?

My places.sqlite is far smaller, but then I had created new profiles and
wiped out old profiles, so I don't have as large of a browser history
(as many visited URLs) in my places.sqlite as someone who has kept the
same profile over the years.

There is some routine maintenance (maybe monthly) one can run to compact
the .sqlite databases.

I use CCleaner (the free version), which is designed for a number of
different cleanup tasks, one of which is that it can compact
Thunderbird, Firefox, and Chrome .sqlite databases. (The sqlite
terminology is actually "vacuum".) The particular applications have to
be closed for compacting the databases. CCleaner is available at
http://www.piriform.com/ and the free version handles this just fine. (I
use the free version.) Note: review both the "Windows" and
"Applications" tabs before clicking on CCleaner's "Run Cleaner" button
the first time to make sure you want it to clean all that it wants to
do. For example, I want to keep my browser cookies and Internet History,
so I have to uncheck those for the browsers I use.

If you want something more specific to .sqlite (no cleaning of the temp
directory, browser cache, etc.), there is
https://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox which, again, require the
appropriate applications to be shut down for it to work.

If you are concerned about the size of the places.sqlite file after
running either CCleaner or SpeedyFox (use one or the other; you
shouldn't need both), and you still want to reduce the size of the
places.sqlite file, you may want to take a look at the extension
"History Cleaner" for deleting old history (specified by number of days
since visiting a specific URL). However, this extension apparently just
deletes history entries, but the places.sqlite would still need to be
compacted, such as by one of the two above utilities. As a nice plus,
"History Cleaner" is a port to the new extensions API (WebExtensions)
and is compatible with mutli-processing.

Generally, though, just an occasional compacting of the .sqlite
databases and cleaning out the browser cache should be sufficient
without using an extension to also expire out old browser history.

Be sure to read the follow-up posts that tell us just how wrong I am. :)