Web lists-archives.com

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

 On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 12:48:41 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote
    in <IcednciDB6XLQX7FnZ2dnUU7-aWdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Well, most smartphones have way more than the 1080 x768 that Win 7 considered the working minimum. And with phones getting larger and larger screens, with more and more resolution, there is really less and less justification for having different displays for the computer and smartphone. All that is needed is the ability to zoom in on the pertinent part of the screen for details.

Resolution alone doesn't make a big display. My smartphone has the exact same resolution as the desktop screen I'm currently sitting in front of (2560x1440), yet the desktop allows for much more information to be presented in a legible way. Take the windows taskbar for example: the small clock in the bottom right corner is still perfectly readable, but a screen element of same proportions would be *way* too small on the 5.3 inch display of my G5.

Yes, the differences are getting smaller, but I think, the way in UI design has been already paved. Things like the material design or the Windows 10 look will persist as their main advantage is the fact that they can adapt to many different screen sizes.

--
Five is a sufficiently close approximation to infinity.
       -- Robert Firth