Web lists-archives.com

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

On 4/4/2017 9:58 AM, Alex S. wrote:
 On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 01:12:20 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote
    in <CJydnd30uaK-pH7FnZ2dnUU7-KednZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

It appears everything that I use to like about Mozilla browsers is now
history.  What was wrong with color, and form, and pleasant appearance?

Nothing wrong, but it is by many - and that includes a lot of developers
- seen as too complex and therefore not desirable to have a zillion of
customization options.

It's probably now what we call "old school". Remember the days - about
10 years ago when XP was the popular OS - of so called "desktop
modding"? It was everywhere among Windows users (and even more popular
on Linux) and it was almost considered an art. People spent hundreds of
hours to customize the look of almost everything and every application
they used had to be skinnable to allow it to look like the desktop.

Remember how many "full" themes (not simple CSS mods or lightweight
skins) once there were for Firefox and Thunderbird? Probably dozens,
many of them of high quality.

Nowadays, it's almost always about simplicity and UIs have to be as
minimalistic as possible.

I guess that is what happens these days when you design for the lowest common denominator. Seems that watching the market share fall each time this is done might have been noticed, but I guess not.