Web lists-archives.com

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign...

On 04/04/2017 04:58 PM, Alex S. wrote:
 On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 01:12:20 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote
    in <CJydnd30uaK-pH7FnZ2dnUU7-KednZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

It appears everything that I use to like about Mozilla browsers is now history. What was wrong with color, and form, and pleasant appearance?

Nothing wrong, but it is by many - and that includes a lot of developers - seen as too complex and therefore not desirable to have a zillion of customization options.

It's probably now what we call "old school". Remember the days - about 10 years ago when XP was the popular OS - of so called "desktop modding"? It was everywhere among Windows users (and even more popular on Linux) and it was almost considered an art. People spent hundreds of hours to customize the look of almost everything and every application they used had to be skinnable to allow it to look like the desktop.

Remember how many "full" themes (not simple CSS mods or lightweight skins) once there were for Firefox and Thunderbird? Probably dozens, many of them of high quality.

Nowadays, it's almost always about simplicity and UIs have to be as minimalistic as possible.
+1

--
GérardJan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff
http://www.ciudadpatricia.es

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0 SeaMonkey/2.48
Build identifier: 20170329182716

I do desire we may be better strangers.
		-- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"