Web lists-archives.com

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

On 04/04/2017 07:58 AM, Alex S. wrote:
   On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 01:12:20 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote
      in <CJydnd30uaK-pH7FnZ2dnUU7-KednZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

It appears everything that I use to like about Mozilla browsers is now
history.  What was wrong with color, and form, and pleasant appearance?

Nothing wrong, but it is by many - and that includes a lot of developers -
seen as too complex and therefore not desirable to have a zillion of
customization options.

It's probably now what we call "old school". Remember the days - about 10
years ago when XP was the popular OS - of so called "desktop modding"? It was
everywhere among Windows users (and even more popular on Linux) and it was
almost considered an art. People spent hundreds of hours to customize the look
of almost everything and every application they used had to be skinnable to
allow it to look like the desktop.

Remember how many "full" themes (not simple CSS mods or lightweight skins)
once there were for Firefox and Thunderbird? Probably dozens, many of them of
high quality.

Nowadays, it's almost always about simplicity and UIs have to be as
minimalistic as possible.

I blame the smartphone.

--
Cheers, Bev
  Self Test for Paranoia:  You know you have it when you can't