Web lists-archives.com

Re: FF not responding

On 2017-03-23 14:21, Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:
Greetings. Increasingly often I'm getting slow performance, accompanied by the message "Firefox not responding." And this is persisting after the latest upgrade to 52.0.1. I've googled up some ostensible solutions, but most of them suggest renaming the places.sqlite file to places.sqlite.OLD. My concern is that doing so might wipe out all the many bookmarks I have on the Bookmarks Toolbar. That would be catastrophic. I'm not actually sure what that file does, but I have the impression is that it stores all the bookmarks data. The tutorials I've seen don't explain HOW renaming that file accomplishes the objective.

1. Is that in fact the best way to fix this problem?

I'd do it as a diagnostic test. Renaming file prevents FF from using it. If the Not Responding behaviour disappears, you know that there's something wrong with places.sqlite. My first guess would be that it's corrupted, and/or very large. Rename the file back to places.sqlite, and edit the bookmarks from within FF.

2. Would renaming that file wipe out my bookmarks data?
No, you just won't see any bookmarks next time you start FF.

Thanks.

Sogn Mill-Scout

"Not Responding" usually means the program is doing something that prevents it from responding to operating system requests (such as "accept these keystrokes..."). Eg, a lot of open tabs sometimes causes this behaviour. I've found that having more than about 8-10 tabs open just means you have to hunt for the tabs that scroll off the window.

You could try a simple uninstall and reinstall (use the latest versions for this). A simple uninstall preserves customisation data such as your bookmarks file, but I would copy the Profiles folder into another directory (folder) just in case. If the reducing the tab count and reinstall doesn't fix the problem, then you're in for a lot of tedious diagnosing and fixing.

HTH

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com