Web lists-archives.com

Re: iCloud

In <news:I_KdnS7GpYej0kzFnZ2dnUU7-eednZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Wolf K." <wolfmac@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2017-03-21 11:31, Disaster Master wrote:
> > On 3/21/2017, 10:41:18 AM, Wolf K. <wolfmac@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> On 2017-03-21 10:07, Disaster Master wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> It's about how the States elect their Senators. As I understand
> >> it, it expands on and clarifies the first sentence of Article 3
> >> (which it quotes). How does that infringe on States' Rights?
> >
> > It didn't clarify anything, it completely changed the process.
> >
> > Senators used to be appointed by the State Legislatures - and more
> > importantly, could be recalled/replaced at any time at the pleasure
> > of the Legislature.
>
> I was under the impression that different States had different
> processes.

During the few years immediately preceding ratification of the 17th,
as many as 29 states had been binding their legislatures to select U.S.
Senators in accordance with popular referenda.  The impetus for the
17th came from the state legislatures themselves, under pressure from
constituents who were tired of the corruption caused by legislative
selection of Senators.

> > The 17th amendment changed that process to their being elected via
> > popular vote, just like Representatives.
> >
> > This complete eviscerated the States representation in Congress.
>
> How? It sounds like you are equating State with State Legislature.

ISTM Disaster has misunderstood badly (again), but the Tea Party has
indeed been trying to cast the pipe-dream of repeal of the 17th as a
states rights issue -- they'd like the state legislatures they control
to be able to recall Senators who ever vote against their interests.