Web lists-archives.com

Re: iCloud

On 3/20/2017 9:08 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-03-20 13:14, Disaster Master wrote:
[...]
It (mostly in the Amendments) is also a powerful list of things the
government can NOT do with respect to violations of our Rights to Life,
Liberty and Property (they should have left it like that instead of
changing it to the more esoteric 'pursuit of happiness' nonsense).
[...]

That's not in the Constitution. The Declaration of Independence however
does start like this:

/quote
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,
that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
/end quote.

Nothing about the right to Property there. The Constitution does refer
to private property: The government has the right to take private
property for public purposes, as long as it follows to due process, and
provides just compensation. Since Congress decides the laws of
expropriation, there could well be debate about the justice of the
relevant due process and compensation.

Have a good day,

PS: I just reread the Declaration and the Constitution. I do that about
once a year. Your claims to Constitutional accuracy have prompted me to
do that earlier than usual, less than six months since the last time.

There has been MUCH conversation about the 'right of eminent domain', and even more on the state, and local aspects of this. Texas had some rather major issues with this when some cities were using it as a way to take land and convert it to uses that generated more tax revenue. The people of Texas quickly put an end to that use, after a local city used it to take about 100 homes in order to expand a shopping mall. I still will not patronize the businesses built on the property taken in that case. In one case, the evicted a family when the owner was in the hospital. They couldn't even wait for him to die! Sad. Resulted in another amendment to the much amended Texas Constitution. Fortunately, the federal government hasn't been as prone to doing this kind of abuse of eminent domain, although some cases are pretty dubious, in my opinion.