Web lists-archives.com

Re: iCloud

On 2017-03-20 13:14, Disaster Master wrote:
[...]
It (mostly in the Amendments) is also a powerful list of things the
government can NOT do with respect to violations of our Rights to Life,
Liberty and Property (they should have left it like that instead of
changing it to the more esoteric 'pursuit of happiness' nonsense).
[...]

That's not in the Constitution. The Declaration of Independence however does start like this:

/quote
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,
that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
/end quote.

Nothing about the right to Property there. The Constitution does refer to private property: The government has the right to take private property for public purposes, as long as it follows to due process, and provides just compensation. Since Congress decides the laws of expropriation, there could well be debate about the justice of the relevant due process and compensation.

Have a good day,

PS: I just reread the Declaration and the Constitution. I do that about once a year. Your claims to Constitutional accuracy have prompted me to do that earlier than usual, less than six months since the last time.

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com