Web lists-archives.com

Re: King Donald

On 03/19/2017 02:54 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-03-19 14:00, Disaster Master wrote:

I wrote:
As for red tape: all large organisations are bureaucracies,
Not really, but many/most devolve into a bureaucracy.

I don't know of any large organisation which is not a bureaucracy.
Kindly name one.

for a very good reason.
And what reason is that?

Human nature. When an organisation becomes so large that any given
person in it no longer knows everyone in it at least by sight, then it
is too large. That's around 500-1,000 people, because on average humans
can know about 1,500 people in total. To get around that limitation, the
enterprise is organised into smaller units, which must of course
communicate with each other as well as within themselves. Result: a
bureaucracy.

You may note that the above analysis does not associate a value-judgment
with "bureaucracy", but uses the term simply as a label for the
structure of the organisation. My experience/observation suggests that
very large organisations spend more resources on
information/communication than on production.

Etc.

BTW, Peter Drucker discussed these and related matters in many of his
essays and books.

Have a good day,

That bureaucracy is why large corporations have trouble changing course as rapidly as smaller ones.

--
Caver1