Web lists-archives.com

Re: iCloud

On 3/17/2017 12:52 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 03/17/2017 10:25 AM, Sailfish wrote:
3/17/2017 10:02 AM:

I'm not poor, but $10/year is just fine for voice communication.  Just
because we can afford something doesn't mean we want to buy it. Charter
Internet + Ooma VOIP is $64/month -- which I consider a ripoff, but it's
the only crap game in town and it's just double what AT&T was charging
for local POTS service.  I'd like to have somebody sell me a chunk of
data for a reasonable amount that was good until used up, but not so
far.  I only need it when I'm away from home and need information, so
I'm not willing to pay much at all.

My Charter bill just jumped another $5/mo. to $65/mo. They tend to do
price increases every March, as I've been told. OTOH, they bumped my
download bandwidth from 30Mbps to over 60Mbps so, there is that. Just
wish they waited for me to find a need to get even close to half of the
previous 30Mbps bandwidth :-)

I haggled them down last year to $50/month (it's been 60Mbs for quite a
while, but who could tell?), but this year they wouldn't haggle and
upped it to $60.  We've always had our own router.  I don't know what it
costs them on a monthly basis, but they put in the hardware a long time
ago and it seems like they could afford to charge us only $1/month over
their cost and still make a profit.  If we quit they get nothing.  We
quit once quite a while back, so at least we're on record for just
walking out, but that doesn't seem to matter now.

My wife haggles with them when it increases, and usually manages to keep the price pretty steady, but it is still significant for TV, phone, and internet. One thing you might check out is the statement of taxes, and fees, which probably add 15% to the total. As for the $1 a month, that would cover the local city 'franchise fee' here.