Web lists-archives.com

Re: Profiles

On 17/03/2017 12:50 PM, Frosted Flake wrote:
WaltS48 wrote:
On 3/16/17 8:24 PM, Frosted Flake wrote:
There are profiles for both Seamonkey and Firefox (one each) on my
wife's old machine.
She is getting a new machine and I have installed both Seamonkey and
Firefox on that new machine (there are new profile folders on that new
machine).
1) I want to have the profiles located in a different place on that
new machine.  How do I get them to go to, or move them to, a different
location?

So you started both SeaMonkey and Firefox which created new profiles for
each without any information?
Yes.  Neither has anything of any importance except for a few settings
which are easily recreated.

You could create new profiles. I always use the default location.
I really want them on a different drive with all the rest of her
personal stuff.

For Firefox
<https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Install-and-Update/Use-the-Profile-Manager-to-create-and-remove-Firefox-profiles/ta-p/2914#firefox:win10:fx51>

For SeaMonkey <http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/profiles>

2) After the profiles on the new machine are moved, I propose to copy
her existing profiles from the old machine to the new, moved ones.
Will that work?

It should. Make backups in case that doesn't work.

3) Anything to be aware of that might blow things up?

Make backups.

In the Seamonkey profile, she has many emails that she want to keep,
anything to worry about there?

Probably not. Make backups.

I have backups of the old profiles.

Thanks

Frosty, I have my Win7 Hard Drive in three Partitions, the C:\ I try to keep for System type stuff. D:\ is where I install my Executables, such as the SeaMonkey program and E:\ is where I have my SeaMonkey Profile. (I also use the Profile with my Linux installation of SeaMonkey ... when I can connect to the Internet via Linux.)

With SeaMonkey open, select Tools->Switch Profiles, and in the next screen that opens, select "Manage Profiles" and, on the next screen, select "Create Profile".

That gets you into the "Create Profile" Wizard.

Read the screen, then select "Next" and give the Profile a Name, then, towards the bottom of that screen, select "Choose Folder". At this point, you should be able to select when on your Hard Drive/s you want your Profile.

Then let the installation complete and you should have your (wife's) profile where you want it!

If/when you want to copy files from your wives current profile/computer, report back when you are at that stage.

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.46 Build identifier: 20161213183751