Web lists-archives.com

Re: Making America Polluted Again

On 3/16/2017 8:49 PM, Wayne wrote:
On 3/16/17 11:04 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 3/16/2017 7:45 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 3/16/17 2:11 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 3/15/2017 4:41 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
"We're going to work on the CAFE standards so you can make cars in
America again," Trump said. "We're gonna help the companies and
they're gonna help you."

I didn't know they prevented manufacturers from making cars in
America. 😲

Doesn't California have stricter requirements? Maybe that's why cars
aren't manufactured there.

Like the quote about not needing friends abroad. People there
really are
going to think we are stupid.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-expected-announce-rollback-auto-emissions-regulations-michigan/story?id=46133053

Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt
<http://abcnews.go.com/topics/news/whitehouse/scott-pruitt.htm> has
delayed regulations that were made in response to a 2013 explosion at
a fertilizer storage plant in West, Texas, that killed 15 people and
injured more than 250 others.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/epa-roll-back-chemical-plant-safety-rules/story?id=46129635

Yes, and the reason indicates the bill needs more thinking, as it
required companies to submit a report of what materials they had that
could be explosive, and detail where they were stored, and how much,
and the reports weren't classified.  Sometimes a bill is rejected for
good reasons.  We can make distance laws about such things, without
going overboard.  Right now, there is one a few miles from here that
is no more than a block from an elementary school.  Other things, like
blast deflectors, can make these plants safer, without closing down
plants that employ a large number of workers, and make essential
chemicals.

And those companies are going to voluntarily do the work to make the
plants safer? Sorry, that would cost money and reduce our profits.

No.  Accidents, and explosions are VERY EXPENSIVE.  Ask the family
owned company from West, Tx. about that!  And the people who worked
there!  If they rebuild, you can bet safety will be 'job one'.  Most
companies realize that such things inevitably happen if they don't
take steps to prevent it.
I have a nephew who teaches safety, and plant operations for a Jr.
College near Texas City, Tx.  He worked a long time for chemical
plants, and they were instrumental in setting up the courses, and
getting him to dust off his degree, and teach it.  Not all companies
are as shortsighted as the government.

Maybe.  And maybe too, not all companies have a conscience, literally or
figuratively.  And then, some are just plain stupid or oblivious.
Also true, unfortunately.
It's not a perfect world, and never will be.