Web lists-archives.com

Re: Profiles

On 3/16/2017 8:06 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 3/16/17 8:24 PM, Frosted Flake wrote:
There are profiles for both Seamonkey and Firefox (one each) on my
wife's old machine.
She is getting a new machine and I have installed both Seamonkey and
Firefox on that new machine (there are new profile folders on that new
machine).
1) I want to have the profiles located in a different place on that
new machine.  How do I get them to go to, or move them to, a different
location?

So you started both SeaMonkey and Firefox which created new profiles for
each without any information?

You could create new profiles. I always use the default location.

For Firefox
<https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Install-and-Update/Use-the-Profile-Manager-to-create-and-remove-Firefox-profiles/ta-p/2914#firefox:win10:fx51>

For SeaMonkey <http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/profiles>

2) After the profiles on the new machine are moved, I propose to copy
her existing profiles from the old machine to the new, moved ones.
Will that work?

It should. Make backups in case that doesn't work.

3) Anything to be aware of that might blow things up?

Make backups.

In the Seamonkey profile, she has many emails that she want to keep,
anything to worry about there?

Probably not. Make backups.

Based on years of unfortunate experience, I don't recommend moving the profile from the default position. It WILL bite you eventually. I agree it is in a strange, and illogical place, but moving it is likely to be more trouble in the end than the benefit. However you decide to do this, the simplest approach is to let the installer create a new profile, locate it, then copy the FILES from the old computer into the newly created profile on the new computer. This is the most hassle-free method I have found after working with Mozilla software from the beginning.