Web lists-archives.com

Re: iCloud

On 03/13/2017 09:38 AM, Sailfish wrote:
3/8/2017 3:38 PM:
On 03/08/2017 11:13 AM, Sailfish wrote:

Maybe using VirtualBox and creating a virgin Win7 VM and installing
iCloud for Windows on it?

I'll think about that.  I deleted my OLD VB, freeing up a lot of space,
 and maybe I could put it on its own partition so I wouldn't have to
worry about the space it occupies.  I hate having backups take many hours.

Something else to consider would be to purchase a portable external
harddrive, e.g., http://tinyurl.com/h3fsuxz and install VB on it along
with the Win7 VM. These offer minimally 1TB storage for less than $50
and are quite fast if you have a USB3 port to plug it into. The other
big benefit is that they don't require a separate power supply in that
they use the USB port power as their source.

Additionally, if you don't have a Win7 installation licensed DVD you can
   pick one up one the cheap, e.g., http://tinyurl.com/gvq8ce4 and can
confirm that the installation key is valid since the one I purchased
worked without a hitch when I registered it.

Hmm.  I have both and never thought about putting it on an external drive.

When Best Buy has 4 or 5 TB external drives were on sale a couple of times (generally Black Friday) we bought several and took them out of the enclosures. No explanation for why the external drives were cheaper than the internal ones. I've also got a slot in the front of my computer that takes a removable internal drive.

More to think about, and THINKING IS HARD! Especially when I have to finish up the taxes by Thursday so I can shop and pack for a 1-week trip to Brian Head and then another week tooling around the Capitol Reef-Monument Valley area.

--
Cheers, Bev
   "It's too bad stupidity isn't painful." - A. S. LaVey