Web lists-archives.com

Re: iCloud

On 12/03/2017 23:42, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 3/12/2017 10:48 AM, David B. wrote:
On 12/03/2017 14:57, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 3/12/2017 4:04 AM, Daniel wrote:
On 12/03/2017 6:53 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

<Snip>

like vacation pictures directly from my iPhone to Facebook.  The
downside of this is that the images are greatly reduced in
quality/resolution, and have the metadata stripped from them.

and, I'm guessing, not just your's, Ron!

Not sure just what you mean.  I load the images from my phone to
Facebook, and, yes, all uploaded photos are stripped of their metadata
by Facebook to prevent stalkers from finding people because they forgot
to strip their GPS data from their images.

Would you like to hazard a guess as to the percentage of Internet users
who have any kind of clue as to what you mean by "Metadata"?!!

I admit that I had no idea at all until I discovered Jeffrey's Image
Metadata Viewer a few years ago!

http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi

A great site to explore!  :-)

Essentially, stripping that information means the person viewing the
image can't tell where, or when, it was photographed, or what camera
settings were used.  This is a security issue, and I really wish there
were an option to leave that data IN, mainly because I would like people
to be able to find the places I went on vacation.
You are right, about few people understanding what is meant by
'metadata', but a little education can solve all that.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. ;-)