Web lists-archives.com

Re: iCloud

On 12/03/2017 21:13, Jim Fisher wrote:
On 12 Mar 2017 at 15:48, David B. wrote:

On 12/03/2017 14:57, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 3/12/2017 4:04 AM, Daniel wrote:
On 12/03/2017 6:53 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

<Snip>

like vacation pictures directly from my iPhone to Facebook.  The
downside of this is that the images are greatly reduced in
quality/resolution, and have the metadata stripped from them.

and, I'm guessing, not just your's, Ron!

Not sure just what you mean.  I load the images from my phone to
Facebook, and, yes, all uploaded photos are stripped of their metadata
by Facebook to prevent stalkers from finding people because they forgot
to strip their GPS data from their images.

Would you like to hazard a guess as to the percentage of Internet users
who have any kind of clue as to what you mean by "Metadata"?!!

I admit that I had no idea at all until I discovered Jeffrey's Image
Metadata Viewer a few years ago!

http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi

A great site to explore!  :-)

Thanks for that link. I knew some of what was stored in the metadata, but
having tried that tool on one of my own photos I'm surprised at just how much
there is. For example, I knew it held such things as date, time, camera make
and model, etc. but not that it went down to such details as the serial number
of the lens used and all the optional camera settings, as well as a lot of
stuff I don't know the meaning of. I've now downloaded the standalone program
from Phil Harvey's site, which apparently can not only read but also edit the
metadata.

Jim Fisher

You are most welcome, Jim.

Enjoy!  :-)