Web lists-archives.com

Re: iCloud

On 12 Mar 2017 at 15:48, David B. wrote:

> On 12/03/2017 14:57, Ron Hunter wrote:
> > On 3/12/2017 4:04 AM, Daniel wrote:
> >> On 12/03/2017 6:53 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> >>
> >> <Snip>

> >> and, I'm guessing, not just your's, Ron!
> >>
> > Not sure just what you mean.  I load the images from my phone to
> > Facebook, and, yes, all uploaded photos are stripped of their metadata
> > by Facebook to prevent stalkers from finding people because they forgot
> > to strip their GPS data from their images.
>
> Would you like to hazard a guess as to the percentage of Internet users
> who have any kind of clue as to what you mean by "Metadata"?!!
>
> I admit that I had no idea at all until I discovered Jeffrey's Image
> Metadata Viewer a few years ago!
>
> http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi
>
> A great site to explore!  :-)

Thanks for that link. I knew some of what was stored in the metadata, but
having tried that tool on one of my own photos I'm surprised at just how much
there is. For example, I knew it held such things as date, time, camera make
and model, etc. but not that it went down to such details as the serial number
of the lens used and all the optional camera settings, as well as a lot of
stuff I don't know the meaning of. I've now downloaded the standalone program
from Phil Harvey's site, which apparently can not only read but also edit the
metadata.

Jim Fisher
--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom