Web lists-archives.com

Re: News-server difficulty

On 03/07/2017 10:21 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
Mike Easter wrote:

Penguin breakfast at penguin beach 10:30a UK time.

My god, you ate a penguin for breakfast?  What kind of monster are you?

Ha!

Nice story about Amundsen frozen in the ice in the Antarctic on the
Belgica in 1897.

// Eventually, penguins began flocking to the ship and the birds were —
Cook wrote — “of equal interest to the naturalist and the cook.” He
began eating penguins. ....  The crew learned in their final months that
they could summon both penguins and seals to the ship by simply playing
a tune on their cornet.//

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/a-different-kind-of-dinner-bell-in-the-antarctic-22002918/#8otAD3qetDVW7Kyr.99

Excellent! If you HAVE to eat them, I guess penguins are no worse than any other bird. I think they were just curious about the sound, but perhaps the bagpipes had a seal-like quality which frightened them.

There were heroes in those days. Was it Amundsen or Scott who wrote the ad offering adventure, low pay, discomfort, the possibility of death, etc.?

--
Cheers, Bev
  "Attention: All virgins report to Paradise immediately!!