Web lists-archives.com

Re: SM reported as Chrome?

On 3/3/2017 1:12 PM, EE wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> Hmmm!  It correctly got my system (desktop, Windows 7) on all tests.  On
>>> the first test, it said I am using Safari 10.0.3.  On a rerun, it then
>>> said I am using Chrome 56.0.2924.87.  Another rerun after disabiling my
>>> Secret Agent extension, it then said I am using Android Chrome
>>> 58.0.3026.5.  (Is there a desktop version of Android Chrome?)
>>>
>>> All this makes me doubt the accuracy of the DSLReports tools.
>>>

>> Running SeaMonkey 2.46 in Safe Mode (something I forget to mention in my
>> prior message), it said I am using Mobile Safari 9.0.
>>
> Secret Agent can change your user-agent constantly.  Maybe you had that
> option enabled?

In an earlier reply in this thread, I noted that the problem exists when
running SeaMonkey in Safe Mode, which disables ALL extensions.

In any case, my default setup for Secret Agent is to disable changing my
user-agent (UA).  I found several Web sites where changing the UA breaks
navigation.

However, when reading a certain newspaper online, I temporarily enable
changing the UA because that Web site would otherwise limit the number
of articles I can access.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Paraphrasing Mark Twain, who was quoting someone else:
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and
alternative truths.