Web lists-archives.com

Re: More crash joy

On 03/01/2017 04:03 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 02/28/2017 06:32 PM, geo wrote:
>>

>> On 02/28/2017 11:06 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> I am NOTHING if not tolerant,
>>
>> is 'tolerant' >=< 'tolerable' ?? ((GBWG))
>>
>>> but this is the SECOND time
>>
>> you should have posted then.
>>
>>> FF51/linux has crashed.
>>
>> flavor?
>>
>>> First it gobbled up all the available memory and CPU
>>
>> what DTM?
>
> What's DTM?

DeskTop Manege

>>> and then it created 170 blank tabs before I managed to kill it
>>> with the little bomb.
>>
>> ff51 icon/add-on?
>>
>> with KDE, DTM has;
>
> I use fvwm95.  Pretty rudimentary, but it was the most completely
> configured WM when I started and I'm lazy.  I use a number of useful KDE
> utilities, but I just don't have the energy to beat a new WM into
> submission.

fvwm is a good desktop. intend to install it on a 32 bit box
because kde is too heavy for 1M5 cpu.

>>    K Desktop Environment Version 4.3.4 (KDE 4.3.4) *System Monitor*.
>>
>> window tab "Process Table" display columns;
>>
>>    Name | Username | CPU% | Memory | Shared Mem | Window Title
>>
>> sort on Memory shows firefox and thunderbird, click/hilite firefox,
>> click 'Kill Process' button, select 'Kill Y/N'.
>>
>> use a cl script to p/o process table, gawk process, kill it.
>>
>>    ps -el|grep firefox>gawk n = 3; echo $n > 2kl, kill -7 $2kl
>>
>> press <enter>
>
> Kill -7?  Why settle for half-measures?  If it's worth killing at all
> it's worth a -9!
>
> If I can get to an xterm, 'top' kind of allows me to do the same thing,
> but it's lots faster to use the bomb.

so just what is the 'bomb'?

>>> The gobble-bomb routine happens several times a day, but having to
>>> delete all those blank tabs is a real chore.
>>
>> reopen firefox, right click _left_most_, from drop down menu,
>> select "Close Tabs to the Right", click "Close Tabs" button.
>
> Excellent!  Now that I know about that (I use Tree Style Tabs and Tab
> Mix Plus, so I have to translate "right" to "down") it will never happen
> again!
>
> HAH -- it just happened.  I had Tab Mix Plus put 'Close tabs to the
> right' into the context menu, and it translated it to 'down' all by
> itself.  And it actually worked!
>
> THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!

youwelcomeyouwelcomeyouwelcome!

>>> I'm sorry, Mozilla is tossing away my loyalty by the handful.
>>
>> learn to use firefox 'features' before you condemn.
>
> Firefox always uses the most resources (frequently followed by
> Thunderbird, for no good reason that I can think of), it just gets too
> greedy sometimes.  FWIW, chrome may have done that too, but I was in a
> hurry to kill everything before the keyboard/mouse got locked out.

would be nice it netscape devs would rejoin mozilla and make
firefox what it should be, instead of a bunch of code hackers
chopping away at firefox.

--

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
 - Albert Einstein

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.8 -- KDE 4.3.4
Firefox 45.7.0 -- Thunderbird 45.6.0
GNUCash 2.4.15 -- zoneminder 1.30.0

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

=+=
Tired of having your microsoft os hacked?
Change to Linux os, used by microsoft hackers.
=+=
=+=