Web lists-archives.com

Re: More crash joy

On 02/28/2017 06:32 PM, geo wrote:

On 02/28/2017 11:06 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
I am NOTHING if not tolerant,

is 'tolerant' >=< 'tolerable' ?? ((GBWG))

but this is the SECOND time

you should have posted then.

FF51/linux has crashed.

flavor?

First it gobbled up all the available memory and CPU

what DTM?

What's DTM?

and then it created 170 blank tabs before I managed to kill it
with the little bomb.

ff51 icon/add-on?

with KDE, DTM has;

I use fvwm95. Pretty rudimentary, but it was the most completely configured WM when I started and I'm lazy. I use a number of useful KDE utilities, but I just don't have the energy to beat a new WM into submission.

   K Desktop Environment Version 4.3.4 (KDE 4.3.4) *System Monitor*.

window tab "Process Table" display columns;

   Name | Username | CPU% | Memory | Shared Mem | Window Title

sort on Memory shows firefox and thunderbird, click/hilite firefox,
click 'Kill Process' button, select 'Kill Y/N'.

use a cl script to p/o process table, gawk process, kill it.

   ps -el|grep firefox>gawk n = 3; echo $n > 2kl, kill -7 $2kl

press <enter>

Kill -7? Why settle for half-measures? If it's worth killing at all it's worth a -9!

If I can get to an xterm, 'top' kind of allows me to do the same thing, but it's lots faster to use the bomb.

The gobble-bomb routine happens several times a day, but having to
delete all those blank tabs is a real chore.

reopen firefox, right click _left_most_, from drop down menu,
select "Close Tabs to the Right", click "Close Tabs" button.

Excellent! Now that I know about that (I use Tree Style Tabs and Tab Mix Plus, so I have to translate "right" to "down") it will never happen again!

HAH -- it just happened. I had Tab Mix Plus put 'Close tabs to the right' into the context menu, and it translated it to 'down' all by itself. And it actually worked!

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!

I'm sorry, Mozilla is tossing away my loyalty by the handful.

learn to use firefox 'features' before you condemn.

Firefox always uses the most resources (frequently followed by Thunderbird, for no good reason that I can think of), it just gets too greedy sometimes. FWIW, chrome may have done that too, but I was in a hurry to kill everything before the keyboard/mouse got locked out.

--
Cheers, Bev
   I've enjoyed just about as much of this as I can stand.