Web lists-archives.com

Re: Mozilla acquires Pocket to gain a foothold on mobile devices

On 02/27/2017 03:17 PM, Sailfish wrote:
REF: http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/27/14752590/mozilla-acquires-pocket-read-it-later

[excerpt quote=\"
Mozilla has acquired Pocket, a kind of DVR for the internet, for an undisclosed sum. The nine-year-old company, which makes tools for saving articles and videos to view them later, is Mozilla’s first acquisition. It represents a homecoming of sorts for Pocket, which began life as a Firefox extension before eventually expanding its team and building a suite of apps for every major platform. Pocket has been Firefox’s default read-it-later service since 2015.
\" /]

I seem to recall there was a controversy with this several releases back. Wasn't it an integrated part of an earlier set of releases and later pulled out and make an optional extension?

It was made a system add-on, and although optional, it isn't removable. Users can see it listed under the Extensions heading in Troubleshooting Information aka about:support. Along with a few others, I did not know were there.

Honestly, I never used the function and wonder if anyone has and what their thoughts on its usefulness either for or against it.

I've never used it because it is another username/password to create and manage. It replaced an experimental feature that I did try and found I'd rather bookmark the page, than save it for later. I think bookmarking did that. The name of the feature escapes me.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS