Web lists-archives.com

Re: Proofreading

On 02/23/2017 06:03 AM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-02-22 23:30, The Real Bev wrote:
On 02/22/2017 06:13 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-02-22 20:23, Annailis wrote:
On 2017-02-21 16:45, Sailfish wrote:
[...]
Ugh! I really need to re-read my replies when I've decided the re-write
parts of them :-)

s/true even given/true BUT even given/

It's well known that we are poor proofreaders of our own work.
:-)

Read backwards.  A handy hint given to me by a Dutch woman, the only
person (at the time, at least) who was a better proofreader than me.

Or is it "...who was a better proofreader than I"?  English grammar can
sometimes be as confusing as English spelling.

AW

In formal English, yes, since "I" is part of the complement, and that
always "takes the nominative". In informal English, "me" is acceptable.
Historical linguists point out that "me" is also the emphatic 1st person
singular, which survives in spoken/informal English, but not in
written/formal English. Note that "case" is a fossil in English, seen
only in personal pronouns (and in pedantically correct quotation from
the Latin, etc). FWIW, "...than I" feels more natural to me than
"...than me"; make of that what you will.

I hope that's enough pedantry to ensure a deep sleep....

There's never enough...

I've assumed that you're German, and probably learned more about English
than we/us native speakers of English.  At least there's no ablative in
German :-(

Nor in English. However, the so-called "dangling participle" is an
analogue of the "absolute ablative", and if we still inflected our nouns
and verbs, that would be obvious.

I'm Austrian and English. Grew up bi-lingual (tri-lingual, actually,
since our local spoken Austrian was different enough from standard
German that a linguist would call it another language). Learned Latin,
French and Spanish. Never learned a Slavic language, unfortunately. I
taught courses in English language (history, grammar, rhetoric), as well
as the usual "language and literature".

I defer to your expertise. I took 4 years of French, 2 years of Spanish, one year of Latin and 6 weeks of German -- I dropped the class because I was just sick and tired of declensions and genders. I'm sure there's an explanation for why a girl is neuter and a rock (or something equivalent, it's been a long time) is masculine...

I did a lot of reading as a kid, and I suspect that that's where I got my 'feel' for English grammar. Until I took French in 9th grade (roughly 14 years old) I had paid no attention at all to formal English grammar, possibly because I didn't need to in order to get 100% on tests just because I KNEW stuff :-(

I speak better than I understand, which is annoying -- there are a lot more opportunities to understand a foreign language here than there are to speak it :-(

Upon reflection I think that the 'better than I' construction is correct -- a verb can always be added after the object noun. BUT it just doesn't sound right. Stilted. Perhaps that reflects my bourgeois background :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
   Linux:  The penguin is mightier than the sword