Web lists-archives.com

Re: Proofreading

On 24/02/2017 1:03 AM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-02-22 23:30, The Real Bev wrote:
On 02/22/2017 06:13 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-02-22 20:23, Annailis wrote:
On 2017-02-21 16:45, Sailfish wrote:
[...]
Ugh! I really need to re-read my replies when I've decided the
re-write
parts of them :-)

s/true even given/true BUT even given/

It's well known that we are poor proofreaders of our own work.
:-)

Read backwards.  A handy hint given to me by a Dutch woman, the only
person (at the time, at least) who was a better proofreader than me.

Or is it "...who was a better proofreader than I"?  English grammar can
sometimes be as confusing as English spelling.

AW

In formal English, yes, since "I" is part of the complement, and that
always "takes the nominative". In informal English, "me" is acceptable.
Historical linguists point out that "me" is also the emphatic 1st person
singular, which survives in spoken/informal English, but not in
written/formal English. Note that "case" is a fossil in English, seen
only in personal pronouns (and in pedantically correct quotation from
the Latin, etc). FWIW, "...than I" feels more natural to me than
"...than me"; make of that what you will.

I hope that's enough pedantry to ensure a deep sleep....

There's never enough...

I've assumed that you're German, and probably learned more about English
than we/us native speakers of English.  At least there's no ablative in
German :-(

Nor in English. However, the so-called "dangling participle" is an
analogue of the "absolute ablative", and if we still inflected our nouns
and verbs, that would be obvious.

I'm Austrian and English. Grew up bi-lingual (tri-lingual, actually,
since our local spoken Austrian was different enough from standard
German that a linguist would call it another language). Learned Latin,
French and Spanish. Never learned a Slavic language, unfortunately. I
taught courses in English language (history, grammar, rhetoric), as well
as the usual "language and literature".

Have a good day,

A course in Rhetoric!! Now that sounds useful!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.46 Build identifier: 20161213183751
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150903203501