Web lists-archives.com

Re: Proofreading

On 2017-02-22 20:23, Annailis wrote:
On 2017-02-21 16:45, Sailfish wrote:
[...]
Ugh! I really need to re-read my replies when I've decided the re-write
parts of them :-)

s/true even given/true BUT even given/

It's well known that we are poor proofreaders of our own work.
:-)

Read backwards.  A handy hint given to me by a Dutch woman, the only
person (at the time, at least) who was a better proofreader than me.

Or is it "...who was a better proofreader than I"?  English grammar can
sometimes be as confusing as English spelling.

AW

In formal English, yes, since "I" is part of the complement, and that always "takes the nominative". In informal English, "me" is acceptable. Historical linguists point out that "me" is also the emphatic 1st person singular, which survives in spoken/informal English, but not in written/formal English. Note that "case" is a fossil in English, seen only in personal pronouns (and in pedantically correct quotation from the Latin, etc). FWIW, "...than I" feels more natural to me than "...than me"; make of that what you will.

I hope that's enough pedantry to ensure a deep sleep....

Good night,

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com