Web lists-archives.com

Re: Two words, Mozilla: SPEED! NOW! Quit fiddling and get serious

Hi Walt,

On 2017-02-17 10:57, WaltS48 <thalionusa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 02/16/2017 11:19 PM, B00ze wrote:
On 2017-02-16 12:48, WaltS48 <thalionusa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 02/16/2017 12:12 PM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what pete@xxxxxxxxxx graced us with on
2/16/2017 1:24 AM:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/15/mozilla_serious_speed/

One person's comments in "the  A Register"

[excerpt quote=\"
I'd like to see Mozilla embrace that approach. I'd like to see Mozilla
continue to forget about the Firefox UI and focus their attention
lower down in the stack. The Firefox UI isn't broken, it works quite
well, it's stable, don't go messing with it. Don't go "innovating",
don't add something stupid like rounded tabs just because you hired
some new designer who needs something to do.
\" /]

Or here's a novel thought, instead of the paid Mozilla team spending
time and money on feverishly attempting to keep up with Chrome and
MSIE's UI changes, why not pull a Poseidon and, "Release the
Themers!"? Give them back the tools to modify the styling of the UI
available pre-Australis, pre-Personas, then hold off UI changes until
the Themers can use a solid UI architecture to seed the and encourage
{complete} theme development. Then they could redirect the devs
focused on cookie-cutter UI changes to work on Fx internal development.

What changes are those? I've been using Firefox with the Default theme
for so long I don't notice any new changes.

Walt, sometimes I wonder if you are a Mozilla shill; everything
Mozilla does is the greatest and best way to go according to you.

Not everything, I just use Nightly and Betas before anyone else sees
changes and learn how to use them.

But I've never seen you complain! Surely something changed that you'd wish had stayed the same!!

I'm sure other testers change the UI with CTR and other extensions so
it's too their liking, but in my opinion that defeats the purpose of
testing.

Hmmm, if you like testing and reporting bugs then you do have to accommodate and try the new UI - but you can complain too!

What have I missed since Australis?

Nice of you to miss the destruction of the status bar, the destruction
of the menu bar (it's still there but not by default, one day it will
surely go because it's so 90's) to be replaced by a stupid FF button,
then the removal of said button, the destruction of the search box (it
is now completely useless if you have 2 or more search queries that
have the same icon,) the removal of color (I don't mind that so much
in FF but in TB it look horrible,) the removal of the ability to move
and/or hide some buttons, etc. Thank the Gods for CTR...

Status bar - hardly ever used it. I find the current method much better.

The "current method" is to not have anywhere to place all these useful status icons but in the top bar, where my ~20 status icons would take so much space that the URL bar would be 2 characters wide. From what you replied I gather they can also go in the TabBar, but same issue, you are taking space away from tabs. I /think/ you can stuff these icons in the bookmarks toolbar (not sure) as well, but by then it turns into an AddOn bar, which is what we had at the bottom to begin with. Personally I prefer it at the bottom. I'm not forcing my choice on everyone, I just want to have the choice!

Menu bar - Rarely have to enable it because an item isn't available in
the Menu Button or Customize. Most used items are moved from the button
or Customize to my Tab bar, Bookmark toolbar or Address bar. One click
and I'm in Options, Add-ons Manager and other items.

I access my bookmarks from the menu, so I use it constantly. I'm really afraid Mozilla will one day remove it completely - Gods know they have been trying various ways to get rid of it over the years (the "one more click to do the same thing" Firefox Button, and the new "one more click to do the same thing Hamburger Button.")

Sorry, I don't have 2 or more search queries that have the same icon in
the Search Bar. Oh wait, I removed the Search Bar and use the Address bar.

Lol, I click home and type in the box in the middle; I like Google's "auto-complete" feature. My search box is only for specific searches which I haven't turned into Keywords (to be used in the Address bar). I guess I could do that for all my custom searches, but I use them so little I would soon forget the keyword; the search box helps me with my bad memory. I agree tho, I also hardly use it so it could go away and I would not be terribly angry. However, since it *is* still there, I want to be able to use it and for me that means several different searches in the same website (a good example is: I have a search for Firefox addOns and a search for Thunderbird addOns, both use the same icon).

I wish they had CTR for my Ford Focus, so I could put a 1940 Ford Coupe
body on the chassis.

Lol, the old UI worked fine before; it was based on many many years of UI design principles. Just because another browser comes around and provides nothing but a URL bar doesn't mean everyone else has to do the same.

As for speed, you apparently also missed talk of an All-Rust
multi-threaded engine promising super fast page rendering.

I'm very aware of e10s and don't really notice much difference between
my Beta where it is disabled, and Nightly where it is enabled. Maybe I
should get out my stopwatch, stop my Usenet downloads, torrents and
music streaming, close Thunderbird so it doesn't use bandwidth polling
servers and see if I an measure the difference.

No no, not e10s; Quantum! THAT will be fast! We want more of THAT and less of the "We removed a button today because that is important work."

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/10/28/can-mozillas-quantum-project-make-firefox-king-again/

Right now there is a Snooker match I want to watch.

Sorry if I was somewhat adversarial. I appreciate your contributions to the newsgroups but I wish sometimes you'd draw a line in the sand and say "No, I liked it the way it was please stop changing it." :-)

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@xxxxxxxxxxx
oO-( )-Oo  Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.