Web lists-archives.com

Re: How to construct a Google Groups non-redundant URL for reference purposes

Here is the message I sent earlier today but it never made it for some
reason.
If this also fails, I'll give up trying to help others with the URLs.

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 04:27:00 -0500, Ken Whiton wrote:

>       Everything you detailed here is unnecessary, because Google
> Groups will give you a non-redundant URL.
>
>       At the top of each post, in a box to the right of the date, is a
> small down-pointing arrow.  Hover your mouse over that arrow and
> Google Groups will display a tooltip reading "More message actions".
> Click on that arrow and the first item on the pop-up menu is "Link".
> Click on that "Link" item and a box opens containing a link already
> highlighted, ready for copying-and-pasting.

Thank you!
This is a great simplification (with only minor drawbacks).

To help others, here is composite drawing of that simpler method:
http://i.cubeupload.com/pa5vGa.jpg

Both methods start from this easy to remember search start point:
http://tinyurl.com/alt-home-repair

That takes us to the standard Google "Groups" (also Usenet) search:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.home.repair

Which results in the following four long "message-style" URLs:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt.home.repair/738YR8CPsLI/BRHYK3X71BAJ;context-place=forum/alt.home.repair
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt.home.repair/AGrGZc4i-RA/8Ff3HsrmASEJ;context-place=forum/alt.home.repair
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt.home.repair/ifuMBLOoGXY/Hk0mfwDsQooJ;context-place=forum/alt.home.repair
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/alt.home.repair/s0zBJNaT89Q/I0TP541gGk4J;context-place=forum/alt.home.repair

The suggested simple method results in these "message-style" references:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.home.repair/738YR8CPsLI/_XhsH8wCbfUJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.home.repair/AGrGZc4i-RA/fiVMoz_brDYJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.home.repair/ifuMBLOoGXY/IHjGymHVhmQJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.home.repair/s0zBJNaT89Q/zdTATJHAnOMJ

The suggested manual method results in these "topic-style" references:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.home.repair/738YR8CPsLI
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.home.repair/AGrGZc4i-RA
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.home.repair/ifuMBLOoGXY
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.home.repair/s0zBJNaT89Q

Both results seem functionally equivalent in my initial test just now.