Web lists-archives.com

Re: Two words, Mozilla: SPEED! NOW! Quit fiddling and get serious

On 2017-02-16 12:48, WaltS48 <thalionusa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 02/16/2017 12:12 PM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what pete@xxxxxxxxxx graced us with on
2/16/2017 1:24 AM:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/15/mozilla_serious_speed/

One person's comments in "the  A Register"

[excerpt quote=\"
I'd like to see Mozilla embrace that approach. I'd like to see Mozilla
continue to forget about the Firefox UI and focus their attention
lower down in the stack. The Firefox UI isn't broken, it works quite
well, it's stable, don't go messing with it. Don't go "innovating",
don't add something stupid like rounded tabs just because you hired
some new designer who needs something to do.
\" /]

Or here's a novel thought, instead of the paid Mozilla team spending
time and money on feverishly attempting to keep up with Chrome and
MSIE's UI changes, why not pull a Poseidon and, "Release the
Themers!"? Give them back the tools to modify the styling of the UI
available pre-Australis, pre-Personas, then hold off UI changes until
the Themers can use a solid UI architecture to seed the and encourage
{complete} theme development. Then they could redirect the devs
focused on cookie-cutter UI changes to work on Fx internal development.

What changes are those? I've been using Firefox with the Default theme
for so long I don't notice any new changes.

Walt, sometimes I wonder if you are a Mozilla shill; everything Mozilla does is the greatest and best way to go according to you.

What have I missed since Australis?

Nice of you to miss the destruction of the status bar, the destruction of the menu bar (it's still there but not by default, one day it will surely go because it's so 90's) to be replaced by a stupid FF button, then the removal of said button, the destruction of the search box (it is now completely useless if you have 2 or more search queries that have the same icon,) the removal of color (I don't mind that so much in FF but in TB it look horrible,) the removal of the ability to move and/or hide some buttons, etc. Thank the Gods for CTR...

As for speed, you apparently also missed talk of an All-Rust multi-threaded engine promising super fast page rendering.

Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@xxxxxxxxxxx
oO-( )-Oo  "Live Long And Suffer" -Ancient Vulcan Curse.