Web lists-archives.com

Re: Two words, Mozilla: SPEED! NOW! Quit fiddling and get serious

On 02/16/2017 05:18 PM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 2/16/2017 9:48 AM:
On 02/16/2017 12:12 PM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what pete@xxxxxxxxxx graced us with on 2/16/2017 1:24 AM:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/15/mozilla_serious_speed/

One person's comments in "the  A Register"

[excerpt quote=\"
I'd like to see Mozilla embrace that approach. I'd like to see Mozilla continue to forget about the Firefox UI and focus their attention lower down in the stack. The Firefox UI isn't broken, it works quite well, it's stable, don't go messing with it. Don't go "innovating", don't add something stupid like rounded tabs just because you hired some new designer who needs something to do.
\" /]

Or here's a novel thought, instead of the paid Mozilla team spending time and money on feverishly attempting to keep up with Chrome and MSIE's UI changes, why not pull a Poseidon and, "Release the Themers!"? Give them back the tools to modify the styling of the UI available pre-Australis, pre-Personas, then hold off UI changes until the Themers can use a solid UI architecture to seed the and encourage {complete} theme development. Then they could redirect the devs focused on cookie-cutter UI changes to work on Fx internal development.

What changes are those? I've been using Firefox with the Default theme for so long I don't notice any new changes.

Australis represented a major change in the UI which broke many/most Complete Themes and, even post-Australis, new releases

What have I missed since Australis?

I don't believe the author limited his UI changing rant to post-Australis.

This might interest the readers of this thread.

<https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/02/16/the-road-to-firefox-57-compatibility-milestones/>
More specifically, his issue was UI changes being worked on via Context Graph and Activity Stream, as I read the article.

The Activity Stream test currently has 254,470 participants, myself included. I don't see any value for me, but other users may like it.

There is some discussion on the firefox-dev mailing list about implementing it as a system add-on, but its use of the SDK instead of being a WebExtension appears to be an issue.

I find Firefox starts up pretty fast on Linux, not so much on my Windows notebook with a 1 GHz slower CPU. All my apps start slower on the notebook.

Once started I would say performance is the same.

Maybe Microsoft needs to make Windows respond faster.

Honestly, I'm not understanding what the author means by faster. Maybe he has a busy schedule and those milliseconds add up for him.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS