Web lists-archives.com

Re: FF51/playstore weirdness

On 2/11/2017 at 12:20 PM, The Real Bev's prodigious digits fired off with great aplomb:
On 02/10/2017 04:39 PM, Sailfish wrote:
2/10/2017 4:08 PM:
On 02/10/2017 01:36 PM, Sailfish wrote:
2/10/2017 11:46 AM:
Early this morning I searched for a particular game and found it.
Later
on I did a similar search with no result at all.  No dropdown with
possibilities, NOTHING.  Restarted FF, restarted X, rebooted the
computer.

Imagine my joy to discover over 200 blank pages that I had to delete
individually.  Ran FF in safe mode.   Still, no search capability.
Chrome works fine.

I'd like to blame somebody, but I really don't know where to point the
gun :-(

First, run Fx with Add-ons disabled. If the problem still exists, try
creating a new profile (after saving your existing one) and see if the
problem still occurs.

"Safe mode" but I've added stuff via the .css and prefs files, as well
as changing a lot of preferences.

The .css shouldn't hurt but the prefs.js and/or user.js file might play
into it. Rename both of them and restart Fx. Fx should create a default
prefs.js file and not access the renamed user.js file. See if that make
a difference. If so, then comes the tedious task of attempting to
isolate the offending pref changes, ugh! If you isolate it/them and
remove them then, as a reminder, as soon as you rename the user.js file
back, Fx will reflect those changes back into your prefs.js file so you
will want to insure that any offending prefs you found in the prefs.js
file are also removed from the user.js file before restarting Fx.

Report back with findings.

New profile, no alterations at all (it REALLY hurt, though!).  The
playstore worked properly, but Facebook still refuses to show some
videos.  The only one I've tried so far said "Something went wrong.
We're having trouble playing this video.  Learn more"  which gives
use a different browser.  Zuck should rot in hell.

It did suggest that I update libavcodec.  Something suppressed that
message before.  Hmmm.  The one I have is from 2012.

While I've not had a problem with viewing FB videos, I have had trouble
viewing several on non-FB sites complaining about ad-blocking, even
though I've disabled and even removed ABP, to no avail. In some cases,
it turned out that setting Options>Privacy>Use Tracking Protection to
Never and reloading the tab fixed it. Anymore, I either simply close the
tab or, if it is of particular interest, open it up in IE or Chrome.

We shouldn't have to do that, though.  It's bad enough when the web
"designers" demand that you just identify your browser as something they
want to see before they let you see the site -- no actual problem, just
a demand.

If that offending FB page is public, I can take a look myself if you
post the URL.

https://www.facebook.com/BrevardZoo/videos/vb.46784544215/10155027204764216/?type=2&theater

WFM.  SM 2.48 Win 10 Pro.

--