Web lists-archives.com

Re: FF51/playstore weirdness

My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on 2/10/2017 4:08 PM:
On 02/10/2017 01:36 PM, Sailfish wrote:
2/10/2017 11:46 AM:
Early this morning I searched for a particular game and found it.  Later
on I did a similar search with no result at all.  No dropdown with
possibilities, NOTHING. Restarted FF, restarted X, rebooted the computer.

Imagine my joy to discover over 200 blank pages that I had to delete
individually.  Ran FF in safe mode.   Still, no search capability.
Chrome works fine.

I'd like to blame somebody, but I really don't know where to point the
gun :-(

First, run Fx with Add-ons disabled. If the problem still exists, try
creating a new profile (after saving your existing one) and see if the
problem still occurs.

"Safe mode" but I've added stuff via the .css and prefs files, as well as changing a lot of preferences.

The .css shouldn't hurt but the prefs.js and/or user.js file might play into it. Rename both of them and restart Fx. Fx should create a default prefs.js file and not access the renamed user.js file. See if that make a difference. If so, then comes the tedious task of attempting to isolate the offending pref changes, ugh! If you isolate it/them and remove them then, as a reminder, as soon as you rename the user.js file back, Fx will reflect those changes back into your prefs.js file so you will want to insure that any offending prefs you found in the prefs.js file are also removed from the user.js file before restarting Fx.

Report back with findings.

New profile, no alterations at all (it REALLY hurt, though!). The playstore worked properly, but Facebook still refuses to show some videos. The only one I've tried so far said "Something went wrong. We're having trouble playing this video. Learn more" which gives options: (1) Restart your browser; (2) update your browser; or (3) use a different browser. Zuck should rot in hell.

It did suggest that I update libavcodec. Something suppressed that message before. Hmmm. The one I have is from 2012.

While I've not had a problem with viewing FB videos, I have had trouble viewing several on non-FB sites complaining about ad-blocking, even though I've disabled and even removed ABP, to no avail. In some cases, it turned out that setting Options>Privacy>Use Tracking Protection to Never and reloading the tab fixed it. Anymore, I either simply close the tab or, if it is of particular interest, open it up in IE or Chrome.

If that offending FB page is public, I can take a look myself if you post the URL.

--
Sailfish